Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Blog about it"

I consider myself an internet junky and it would be tough for me to go without internet for a day. Everyday I check my e-mail a bunch of times...I check my facebook even more. Also, for 8 years, I have been a member of a message board called *6. However, the world of blogging never appealed to me. I honestly had no idea what a blog was for a long time. I've heard of them, but I just thought that they were just like message boards, so I didn't bother to check them out. That is, until now.

My boyfriend's mom introduced me to the idea of creating my own blog a while back. I had my reservations... thinking to myself, "self, can you be an interesting enough writer that people will actually read what you write?" or "self, will you be able to keep up with a blog, or will you just let it fall to the side?" Although I had these doubts, I decided that I should give it a whirl. What is the harm in that?

So this is my first blog EVER. *e-pat on the back (that is electronic pat on the back)* For my first entry (do you call it an entry? I have no idea ha), I am going to write about a walk I took yesterday.

I am a runner by nature. I have loved running since I was a kid..my dad is the one that instilled my love for running in me. But, I never take walks. I think it's because I am so used to running that I feel like walking is for wusses. Sorry to my avid walkers out there! I am somewhat familiar with the research saying that walking is actually better for you than running, but I tend to fall back on running vs. walking. Anyways, for the first time ever, I decided to go on a long walk. So I packed a bookbag with a water bottle, apples, a book and a map. I live in the Boston area, so I figured a map would be good to bring in case I wanted to see what cool places were on my way. So I headed out at about 3:15 pm, ipod in ears with one of my favorite bands playing (Sigur Ros). I had the best time. I walked through Harvard Square, across the JFK bridge onto the beautiful Esplanade hugging the Charles River. Everyone was out on this particular day because it was around the high 50s or so...which is a nice change from the 20 degree weather we have been used to. I was enjoying the scenery, the wind in my hair, the smell of spring approaching...everything. I also was amazed that I wasn't really thinking about anything in particular. Usually, when I am not doing anything that is taking up my attention, my mind is racing with things that I have to do, people I have to talk to, just errands. Not yesterday though...my mind was peaceful. It might have largely been due to the music I was listening to, which is very melodic and I get lost in it everytime, but it was just so nice to enjoy life. I ended up walking from the Cambridge area to Newbury Street in Boston. Took me two hours, but it was worth it. I ended up buying two cds (Kid-A by Radiohead and The End of the Ring Wars by Appleseed Cast) at my favorite CD store in Boston called Newbury Comics. My map came in handy too because a passerby needed directions to Boston University and I wanted to make sure I didn't point them in the wrong direction. So now that I had this experience, I might try and go on more walks. I can't give up running, that won't happen, but I might start to walk a bit more.

That peaceful feeling I was just describing earlier...I have often felt this feeling ever since I moved to the Boston area from my hometown of Wilkes-Barre, PA. Boston is just a really fun and cool place. It is also very beautiful in the spring/summer time. I tell everyone I know that it's the best city and I don't plan on leaving it anytime soon. My friends from home have yet to visit me, but when they do, I hope they fall in love with this place just as I have.

So here comes the end of my post, entry, whatever it is called. Here's to more to come. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Yay!!! Congrats to having your new blog!!

You are awesome!!