Monday, May 25, 2009

*6 Reunion- Seattle

You might remember from a few posts ago that I am a huge music fan. I listen to music everyday and love to learn about new bands. I have always loved music and I am pretty certain I can say that music changed my life. More specifically, the band Dispatch has changed my life. It might sound cliche, but it's true.

Back when I was in high school, I was in Chemistry class and I was talking to my friend Steve about new bands. He suggested downloading two songs by a band I never heard before called Dispatch. I even remember the names of the songs, The General and Bang Bang. So once I got home, I opened up Napster (this was before it was a service you had to pay for) and I downloaded the two songs. I loved them immediately. After I downloaded these two songs and decided I loved them, I started to go on a downloading rampage and got all of the Dispatch songs I could. I was amazed because I enjoyed every song of theirs. I was a fan instantly.

In 2001, the band was on tour and scheduled a show at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. I had to go. So me and two of my friends came with me to Philadelphia to see them play. John Mayer was one of the opening acts. At that time, no one knew who he was. The show was phenomenal. One of the best shows I have ever been too. When I got home, I was hooked on everything Dispatch and I even became a member of their message board. At that time, I was not a huge message board poster, but I would make comments now and again. The message board was called *6. The board went through many changes over the years, but around 2003, I started to become more involved. Eventually, after being a regular poster on *6, people started to notice me and talk to me on instant messenger and eventually, on the phone. I started to make "internet friends".

Sadly, in 2004, Dispatch announced that they were breaking up; however, they were going to put on a free show in Boston to celebrate their ending. Again, I needed to go and found out that many people from the message board were also planning on going. Leading up to the concert, I became extra fond of Danny, one of the members of the board, so I was way motivated to go to the last Dispatch show just to meet him. As the weeks went by, more and more people made plans to go and us *6ers, as we called ourselves, all booked the same hotel so we could finally meet up and hang out with each other. We even made t-shirts! I convinced my parents to let me go all the way to Boston with a few of my friends from home and when I got to Boston, a new world opened up. I had the best time with the other *6ers and we all instantly felt this connection between us. It was like we were friends forever who always hang out with each other. I will never forget that solidarity feeling I had and the acceptance I received from other board members. After the show was over and we were all making our way back to our homes, we made this unspoken commitment to each other that we would cross paths again. Now it is 5 years later, and we have kept up our promises.

Here is a group picture taken at the end of the Boston trip. From the left, Matty, E, me, Danny, Liz and Jen.

After the Boston show, lots happened. Danny and I decided to be exclusive with each other, even though he was from Wisconsin and I was from Pennsylvania. We also had a reunion one year later in Philadelphia and it was a blast. During that trip, I celebrated my 21st birthday and met up with more *6ers who did not have the chance to go to the last show. Namely, Joy from Canada who is for sure my sister from another mother. In 2006, a few of us went to Minnesota for a mini-reunion and I got to visit Minneapolis/St. Paul. Home of my good friend Molly. In 2007, Dispatch decided to put on a benefit concert in New York city so many of us trekked to NYC that year for the show. During that trip, I got to meet even more *6ers and made instant friends with Tom, a *6er from England who opened my eyes to traveling and how wonderful the world is. In 2008, people traveled here to Boston, still having the best time with each other and they also got to meet Clayton.

For 2009, we decided to go to the West coast because Tom was planning on traveling from Vancouver to San Diego. Also, Justin, from Spokane, WI was always commenting on how all of our reunions were happening on the East coast and that a West coast reunion was warranted. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to hang out with Tom while he was here, so we thought a *6 reunion in Seattle would be fun. I just got back yesterday and it was a crazy time. I am always amazed at how wonderful our group meshes so well even though we hang out with each other once a year. I have actually been very lucky because I usually see members of the board more than once a year because many times, they travel close to Boston and my house is always somewhere where they can crash and hang out. Also, when Clayton and I traveled to the UK, we met up with my England *6 friends which became a God send.

Whenever we are together, I become so aware of the world and how wonderful meeting new friends and seeing new places is. It opens my eyes to different life styles, culture and personalities. I have gained so much from this small group of people and I am still meeting new friends through them from all over the country and the world. They are a wonderful group of individuals who I keep in contact with regularly. We shall see what is in store for us in 2010. Possibly Chicago? Austin? Who knows. I just know that I will be excited to see these people again and will look forward to yet another *6 reunion.


Here are some pictures from this weekend:

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Sounded pleasant enough. But you didn't get to the real excitement of the trip---but thats ok----I can comprende...

Megg said...

I thought I should leave that stuff out haha. Maybe someday I can let everyone in on all the shenanigans.