Friday, April 10, 2009

My Tribute to Music

I knew it was only a matter of time when I would write about music on this blog. I love music. I thrive on listening to new bands, old bands, new songs, live bands...it's just an obsession I have. I also almost always have a song stuck in my head. Maybe I should put the song that is stuck in my head on my playlist whenever I write a new post. hmm...anyways, I thought it would be important to talk a little bit about my love life with music.

When I was in grade school, my favorite band was the Beatles. I had Beatles posters EVERYWHERE. I knew the history of the Beatles and the band members. I also made it a point to buy all of their cds. Even the imports. I distinctly remember writing all of their song titles all over my textbook covers in 7th grade. I celebrated George's bday (he was my favorite) and I cried when he died. The Beatles were probably my first introduction to music. But, I wasn't really into popular music too much. I remember the exact place I was though when I decided that I needed to know more about music..other than the Beatles. I was in the car with one of my best friends when I was a kid. Her sister was in the back seat with us too. A song came on and they asked if I knew what song it was or who sang it. I forget who I thought it was...but the song was by the Smashing Pumpkins and they laughed when I guessed wrongly. I was mortified, so I made it a point to know more about bands and listen to music more often. I have been a music junky ever since.

My love for music probably came from my dad. He has played the guitar since before I was born. We used to listen to music all the time whenever he was doing some job around the house. One of my fondest memories is when my dad and I would play pool in our basement on my old playschool pool table and listen to Eric Clapton Unplugged...the best pool playing music ever. Try it sometime. He also has a band and has played in that band for years. I definitely get my music bug from him. My parents also had me take piano lessons starting when I was in 1st grade. I kept with piano until my high school years..sadly, I am losing my knack for it. Clayton is now learning piano, so it's reignited my piano playing a bit. I also tried my hand at flute, but that didn't last too long. I always wish I learned guitar though. That would be pretty amazing.

When I grew up a bit more, I fell in love with live shows. My first concert ever was terrible..Spice Girls. I still remember the circumstances. I didn't particularly want to see the Spice Girls, but my friend got free tickets and she wanted to go with someone. Ugh that concert was terrible and we left early. I think I have redeemed myself though. Off the top of my head I have seen these bands live: John Butler Trio, Appleseed Cast, Cursive, Jimmy Eat World, Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Minus the Bear, Sigur Ros, Third Eye Blind, Incubus, Barenaked Ladies, Dispatch, The Good Life, Alexisonfire, Taking Back Sunday, State Radio, Murder By Death..can't think of more right now. I have saved all of my ticket stubs too and I still have them. Man I love concerts so much. I will have to write another blog on Dispatch someday. That band has changed my life...for real, you'll see.

I have sorta been in a music slump these days. I have been listening to the same stuff over and over...I need some newness in my musical library. Right now, Radiohead's Kid-A is in my car's cd player. An oldie, but definitely a goodie. I have also been listening to alot of Sigur Ros. But I need something new! I welcome any suggestions please. One game I play when I am in the car or have access to a radio is the "guess that band" game. I randomly choose radio stations and I name the band that is playing on that station as quickly as I can. I win if I can go through a whole rotation of the stations and I name every band correctly. It is hard, but really fun. I usually do a pretty good job. I also change it up a bit and I try to name as many bands as I can in a row when I stay on one radio station. That is a good time too. Clayton plays along sometimes...his personal best is 3 bands in a row on one station. I have no idea what mine is...I lose count. ha

So there is one of my obsessions..music. I love it, I live for it...it's one of my passions..if not the only one.

I put one of the Eric Clapton songs from Unplugged on the playlist...can't you see a daughter and father playing pool to this? hah

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Awesome post, Meggie!

As you know, music is a HUGE part of our lives also----so you fit in really well, I think...